Every season comes with varied challenges which tests our ability to accommodate to the changing conditions to maintain our health and well being. Our immediate environment and climate plays an important role in our overall state of health and sense of well being. So maintaining a seasonal routine is considered important and beneficial. Ritucharya or the recommended lifestyle, diet and routines for each season has been dealt with utmost importance in Ayurveda.
Winter or Hemantha and Shishira Ritus
In winter the temperature starts dropping and the weather starts getting cool.
During winter we can take warm heavy foods. Ayurveda recommends sweet, sour and salty tastes to include in your food.
Warm and heavy foods predominantly of these tastes can help keep the doshas in control.
- Dairy products, slightly oily foods, sweets
- Take more iron rich food like lentils and green leafy vegetables
- Warm oats with nuts or seasonal fruits like apples, dates etc.
- Add foods like sweet potato, tomato and citrus fruits to your meals.
- Include Spinach and legumes in your meal.They are good sources of zinc and will keep your immune system normal
- Carrots are a rich source of beta-carotene, a potent antioxidant and a good source of vitamin A.
- Cereal and Pulses are high in protein and energy and give you the energy you need to fight the cold.
- Wintertime warmth is provided by papaya and pineapple.
- Dates are highly advisable in winter as they have a warm nature.
- Wintertime warm spices include mustard, asafetida, black pepper, fenugreek, ajwain, and dill seeds.
- Basil is a herb that boosts immunity and helps prevent cold and fever.
- Massage your body regularly with warm oil.
- Cover your head and ears when walking out during early winter.
- Get adequate exposure to sunlight.
- Tulsi tea enhance your immune system
- Apply virgin coconut oil on your skin as a natural moisturizer
- Including organic ghee to your diet is one of the best ways to keep your body warm and deals with the dryness of the skin during winter.
- Drink warm water to keep yourself-hydrated.
- Include oil-rich foods like walnuts, almonds, ground flaxseeds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Ayurmana Best Ayurvedic Health Center in KuwaitAyurMana Ayurveda Health Centre in Kuwait is a subsidiary of Dharma Ayurveda Centre for Advanced Healing – a leader in delivering Authentic and Effective Ayurvedic Healing Therapies, Treatments and Natural Remedies in Kerala India since 1965.